About us
 
History
 
The two main church buildings in Snizort congregation were built under the supervision of Rev Roderick MacLeod (or ‘Maighstir Ruairidh’).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These were erected in 1847 (Skeabost Bridge) and 1860/1 (Uig). In the 19th century they were the scenes of great spiritual blessing and revival.
The minister in 1900 entered the United Free Church. The vacancy was filled with the ordination and induction of Rev Angus Mackay in 1906.
In 1911 he accepted a call to Farr in north Sutherland. There then followed a vacancy of almost ten years which was ended with the ordination and induction of Rev Murdo Stewart in 1920. Mr Stewart demitted the charge in 1932. The congregation did not go very far afield for his successor, calling their former interim moderator, Rev Malcolm Macleod of Bracadale. Mr Macleod accepted the call and served at Snizort from1934 until his retirement in 1956.
A young probationer, Rev Angus Smith, was ordained and inducted in 1958. A decade later Mr Smith was translated to Cross in the Isle of Lewis. Rev Duncan MacLeay was translated from Fearn in 1969. Mr MacLeay retired in 1987 and Rev Iain D Campbell was ordained and inducted the following year. In 1995 he departed for Lewis having accepted a call to Back. His successor was Rev Kenneth M Macdonald who was settled in Snizort in the autumn of 1997. In 2008 Mr Macdonald accepted a call to Scalpay. The present minister Rev Murdo Angus Macleod was translated from Partick, Glasgow and inducted in August 2010
 

© 2019  Snizort Free Church Continuing

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square